Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pack the Pacifiers

I had a dream last night that a free spot opened up on a trip to a desirable destination. I had only minutes to decide if I wanted to go. Upon deciding, I found out I didn't have much time to pack much of anything as the flight was soon approaching. Then, at the very last minute, it was strongly suggested that I take my youngest daughter, Kenna, along with me. All this for free. All I had to do was say yes!

So I did. I learned a few things about myself in this dream. All the pre-traveling jitters that come as a package deal when I take a trip are really quite unnecessary. There really is nothing I can't live without. I was so freed on this trip to have my baby and a growing relationship with her as my luggage. We had the clothes on our back. Plus, we happened to have enough time to grab literally a change of clothes and something to sleep in.

See, I go on trips and I think of all the "things" I need to buy and pack so that the kiddos stay content. So that we have luxury where our destination finds us. Making sure to include the dvd's and the ipods. REALLY. These "things" are more grown up "pacifiers." When traveling with an infant, it is crucial to have a binkie, blankie, bottle or whatever it is that pacifies the discontentment of a baby. But, my true heart's desire from this dream is that I may only be pacified by Christ. Contentment in Him and His Provision. And this "carpe diem" mentality with life. Saying yes to adventure without preparation.

If offered the same thing, would you go?

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Yes! I would go, but I would start out with some anxiety over the unpreparedness.

What a cool dream!