Sunday, October 23, 2011

Doh!

"The anger of a parent confronted with a child's poor choice shifts the focus from the child's bad behavior to the parent's angry response." - You Version Parenting by Design Daily Devotional

I'm hearing the Homer Simpson response in my head....."DOH!"

This is my greatest struggle right now in my mother role. I've always been told that we are the "tone-setters" of the home and generally I'm good with that. I even feel like I am consistent in disciplining and not withholding consequences to their actions.... but, about my angry response to their poor choices? Fail. 100% fail. I'm just as immature as they are when it comes to the tantrum I have.

Oh, how I need help. Any suggestions would be great. Prayer would be best! Thanks... :)

Lord, How I need you in this area. I hate that my response to the kiddos making the wrong choice angers me. Please help me to shepherd them as you do me. Give me the ability to be self-controlled and patient with their mistakes. In your precious name, Amen

2 comments:

Jennifer Travis said...

I struggle with the exact same thing as a mother of three. Thanks for reminding me that I'm not alone. I also have ablog at travisinbloom.blogspot.com. Let me know what you think.

3RMama said...

I am right here with you! Really working on keeping my cool and being sad for them when they blow it instead of angry... especially a little fella who can really make the steam come out of my ears! Doh!