Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I'm OLD.

The fact that I am "old" doesn't really bother me at all.  I'm not saying it in a "Oh, no you're not!" kind of way.  I actually hate that response.  People think the mention of age or the mention of the arrival of the crinkles and wrinkles mean that I need an opposing comment to balance it out.

Why is that?

Why can't someone just agree with me?

Old is also relative, I know.  But to me....I am old.

I will look at my hands in certain light and see the sagginess.  There you go.  That's a comment I can make about my age without it screaming that I need a rebuttal.  I'm sure there are creams for "younger looking hands" on the market and some people may be insecure about aging hands, but again.....not bothered.

It's strange though, that's all.  I think it just happened sooner than I thought.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I heard (or read) somewhere recently that complaining about getting old is actually an ungrateful way of looking at the fact that you didn't die young. Your life wasn't cut tragically short and you GET to experience the things that a thirty-something-year-old does. And you never know who might have lost someone tragically young, so complaining about growing older could actually hurt someone's feelings. So well done, for aging gracefully, and not whining about it! :)

Plus, you're only as old as you feel and/or act. Which means I'm still a 12-year-old. Which makes you 14. ;)

Chelle said...

We are all aging, all getting older. The trick is to have fun doing so. Hands are always a dead giveaway for age, in my opinion.